Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Changing the way we think?

In this article about the internet and its impact on the brain and our neurological mapping, several views were stated. The views differed greatly from one another as some people opposed such search engines like Google and other hailed it as a great resource for the next generation. Nick Carr, for example thinks that internet has destroyed such stimulating brain activities such as reading War and Peace. Carr states that why read the book when you can get the story in a condensed version via Facebook or Twitter. Although he opposes the advances, many people advocate the technology.
In my opinion, I believe that the internet and all of the resources that are provided enhance knowledge and promote learning and advancement. I know that without the internet I would not be able learn as much knowledge because time would not allow it. The internet speeds up the learning process by being readily available. Unlike Carr, I see all of the resources such as Google as a great advantage. We should embrace change and I would like to read the research by Susan Greenfield about the neurological changes that have occurred due to technological advancements in this generation. I believe that our brains are changing but for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment